Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Good Taste

It always amazes me what people like.  I have a sweet little house listed that would be a great starter home or an investment property.  It's in a nice neighborhood, with a large yard.  But I'll be honest, it needs some work.  The remarks on the MLS data sheet say "Fix me up!"  Don't get me wrong, it has beautiful hardwood floors and great bones.  But like I said, it needs some cosmetic updating.

I held an open house recently and a young couple came through.  They did the obligatory walk through and whispered out of earshot, but they also made some comments I could hear.

"I love the bathroom," said the wife.  "I wouldn't change anything."

"Really?," replied the husband.  "I'd have to the change the tub."

The bathroom has original pink fixtures.  You can't buy those anymore!

They continued through the house and made their way to the basement.  On the way back up the stairs, they stopped in the kitchen and spent some time opening cabinets and looking in drawers.

"It's a nice size kitchen," I offered.

"I like it a lot," said the the wife.  "I even like the gold appliances.  It's cute."

The husband was silent.

The couple wandered through a few minutes longer and then were on their way.  I thanked them for coming and asked them to contact me if they had any questions.

As they walked down the front walk, I heard the wife exclaim once again, "I love this house!"

I don't know if I'll hear from this couple again.  But, I do know I learned something.  Good taste is subjective.  What I like isn't necessarily what you like.  My taste is not your taste.  And I may not like pick bathroom fixtures, but the gray wall paint sure helps!



No comments:

Post a Comment