Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Segoe Road My Secret Segway

I call Segoe Road the secret segway.  It's easily maneuverable, winds neatly through the neighborhood of ranches and raised ranches and cuts diagonally from University Avenue to Odana Road.   There are also a couple of small parks along the street, that add to the pleasure! Although it's a major artery similar to Odana Road or Nakoma Road, it doesn't have the traffic density of, say, Mineral Point Road or Midvale Boulevard.

I noticed a few month ago in my travels around the west side of Madison that bike lanes have been added to Segoe Road between Hilldale and Mineral Point Road.  This stretch of the road went from two lanes of traffic in each direction to one-lane for vehicles, with an additional lane for parking and a bike lane.

At Mineral Point Road, Segoe widens to accomodate a center median.  I understand plans are underway to continue the "re-striping" of Segoe Road from Mineral Point Road to Odana Road to include a bike lane and street parking.

A few years ago, the city reconfigured the lane striping on Odana Road, too.  They added center islands at some of the intersections and included a bike path lane.  As far as I can tell, it hasn't caused any problems.  In fact, I'm sure it slowed traffic and the islands certainly added visual interest to the street.

Now that my secret segway is slated to have a bike lane added, it probably won't be so secret anymore.  But at least it still be a convenient thoroughfare!

No comments:

Post a Comment