Tuesday, August 16, 2011

From Books to Bank

I was sad when the Borders bookstore at the end of Midvale Boulevard on the edge of Shorewood Hills closed.  It was a nice, neighborhood destination to purchase a gift, read a few chapters or have a cup of coffee.  It was close.  It was convenient.  It was easy.

With my Pollyanna attitude, I had visions of a new retail store opening in it's place.  How about a Crate and Barrel or a Garnett Hill?  Maybe a sporting goods store.  Actually, I was hoping for any other retail store that would draw the masses.

Ah, no such luck.  As I'm sure you already know, the new lease holders, UW Credit Union, plan to move the walk-in and drive-thru banking portion of the business from the current headquarters building on University Avenue a few blocks west to the former Borders site.  The move is to accommodate additional administrative and office space at the current headquarters location on University Avenue.

I have nothing against the UW Credit Union.  In fact, I'm a member.  That's where I do all my banking.  And when I put myself in their shoes, it's a logical move.  But from my own, selfish perspective I was hoping for something more "fun"!

Perhaps I should save my pennies rather than spend them anyway.  Saving can be fun, right??  I'm sure the UWCU will be a good addition.  There's always Hilldale!

No comments:

Post a Comment