Friday, August 19, 2011

Meet in the Street

On many of the streets that wind through the Sunset Village, Westmorland and Sunset Hills neighborhoods the front yards stretch all the way to the street.  There are no sidewalks!

In the winter, this is a blessing!  Much less snow to shovel.  My back is so much happier!

During the other three seasons, I feel doubly blessed for having no sidewalks!  Here's my thinking.  Sidewalks separate a neighborhood into "sides".  People cross to the other side of the street if they are uncomfortable encountering another pedestrian.  The expanse of street and parkway keep neighbors further apart when they are out and about in the neighborhood.  And I think sidewalks inhibit chance encounters and therefore impromptu conversations.

My neighborhood is without sidewalks and I wouldn't have it any other way!  Without those sidewalks, the separation narrows and neighbors walking dogs or strolling children meet in the street. It's the chance meetings that keeps me connected to the neighborhood.  I find out that the woman around the corner fell and had to be taken to the hospital (she is doing well).  Or that the neighbors down the street are on vacation and need their tomatoes watered.  Or I learn that the couple on the corner need a babysitter for their toddler.  Of course, these may seem like inconsequential conversations, but it's contact and it matters.  It makes me feel safe.  It makes me appreciate my neighbors.  It makes me glad I live where I do.

Sure, sidewalks may be safer, but I'll take meeting in the street instead any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment