Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Get Your Summer On!

What crazy summer weather we have had!  It’s been hot and humid, cool and rainy, and windy.  On one of those windy days, my husband and I thought it would be a good idea to go for a Stand Up Paddle on Lake Wingra.  It wasn’t that windy!

We loaded the truck, changed into appropriate SUP attire and headed for the lake.  Well, it was a bit windier at Wingra Park than it was at home, but there were lots of people on the water, so how bad could it be?

With the boards in the water, off we went.  Well, off I tried to go!  My plan was to paddle beyond the boat piers since the water was calmer beyond the piers.  So I paddled, and paddled, and paddled…to no avail.  The piers were not getting any closer and I was standing on the board, my full body acting as a sail blowing me backward. 

My husband was behind me hollering some mumbo jumbo that I couldn’t decipher.  As I turned to tell him just that, the wind came up and caught my “sail”; in the water I went.  The paddle skirted off in one direction and the board skimmed under the pier in the other direction.  I’m flailing in the water with me feet tangled in seaweed trying to recover the paddle and board. 

I was able to recover both, regain my composure and get back on the board.  And actually, the water felt rather refreshing!  I was done for the day, but what a great way to get my summer on!  As we get ready for the longest day of the year, how do you plan to get your summer on?  Here are some ideas:

Make Music Madison: Make Music Madison is an annual free citywide, outdoor day of music held on the summer solstice, June 21. Initiated in 2013 as Madison’s entry into the international summer solstice music celebration, we join over 700 communities around the world in kicking off summer by filling the city with music. Make Music Madison turns the city into a stage, and offers a full spectrum of performers the opportunity to display their musical skills.  Coffee shops, restaurants, front porches, and businesses all over Madison will fill their locations with song.

Dinner and a Swim: Friday June 23rd, enjoy a warm summer evening with a dip in the pool and a selection of tasty food truck options!  Admission to the Goodman Pool is free from 6-8pm!
Barks For Parks: In honor of the 25th anniversary of the Dane County Dog Parks, Wisconsin Brewing Company is hosting the "Barks for Parks!" celebration at their facility in Verona. This afternoon of fun will include live music (featuring The Oak Street Ramblers) and entertainment for both two- and four-legged friends and family. Food will be available for purchase at the event. First 200 people to arrive at the event get a free goody bag! Proceeds from this celebration will support Dane County Dog Parks.


Midwest Log Rolling Championships: On the weekend of July 1st and 2nd, the greatest lumberjacks and Jills in the United States will compete in Madison, Wisconsin in the water events of log rolling and boom running at Madison's beautiful Wingra Park.  The event is a fundraiser to raise money awareness for the Huntington's Disease Society of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment