Monday, February 2, 2015

No Preconceived Notions

We do not have cable television.  We had Dish Network for a while, but discontinued that, too.  We don’t really miss it, unless the Badgers are playing.  That was the case last winter as the Badger Basketball team was making a great run at the end of the season.  We headed to a local tavern to take in the game.

While watching, we met a gentleman who was also a sports fan and had just moved back to Madison after some time away.  We chatted about the game (a victory!) and the changes that had taken place since he had left Mad-town.  I also learned that he was thinking of buying a house.  We exchanged cards and called it a night.

Over the next few weeks, we stayed in touch and I learned about what he was looking for.  A house with character was important to this buyer.  He also likes to cook, so a “good” kitchen was also essential.  We looked at some small houses.  We looked on the near east side and the near west side.  We even looked at some condos.  No luck.  Nothing was “right”.
 
I had seen a house on the near east side listed for sale and I went to take a look.  It was small, quaint and in a great neighborhood.  And did I say small?  The kitchen was old and outdated.  Certainly, I thought, not the right house for this buyer.

A few days later, I received an e-mail from my client saying he found a house he’d like to see again.  He had gone to an open house and was intrigued.  It was the “old, outdated, small kitchen” house that I had discounted as not the right house for this client who likes to cook.  We scheduled an appointment to see it again.  We looked at it a total of five times.  He loved it!  Well, he loved many things about it and he could see the potential that some elbow grease and some updates could bring to a house that was in a terrific neighborhood.

I almost always learn something from my clients.  I learned a great lesson from this client who taught me that I should never discount a property as not the “right” one.  That is never my decision.  It is always the decision of my client.  I can advise and counsel and play devil’s advocate.  But at the end of the day, the decision on whether or not to make an offer on a house always rests with my client.


My client decided to make an offer on the “old, outdated, small” kitchen house.  After some tough negotiating, he had an accepted offer.  He was thrilled!  He told me the house makes him happy.  What could be better?  I think he is now deciding how to make the kitchen into a chef’s paradise! Perhaps you know someone who needs an advocate to help them buy or sell a house.  Please feel free to pass along my number, 608.333.4406.  I’d be happy to help!  And I promise – no preconceived notions!

No comments:

Post a Comment