Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Trip to the Drug Store


It was an ordinary day.  I was climbing into my car after a brief stop at the drug store when I heard someone call my name.  I looked around but I didn’t see anyone I knew.  A minute later, my neighbor Becky was standing next to my car door.

“You’re a Realtor, aren’t you?”  She asked.  When I answered yes, she explained that she and her husband David were looking for a small house for their son.  He had been living with them for some time and it was time for him to be on his own.  Becky and David did have some criteria; it needed to be close to their own home, small and within a certain price range.  This would also be a place that David could tinker and Becky could garden – she has a beautiful garden of her own, but as everyone knows, gardeners never have enough space! 

While this was an investment for them, they were also in need of someone to talk with about how best to finance the new purchase.  They are both retired and retirement funds were available, but perhaps there was a better way to finance the transaction.  I put Becky and David in touch with a lender who is confidential, provides great service and is just an all-around great person. 

We exchanged e-mails and I promised to be in touch with some possibilities.

Over the course of the next few weeks, the e-mails and phone calls were flying with potential houses for their son.  We passed on some, looked at several and settled on one that they thought would be the perfect place for him.  After taking their son through the house and discussing it as a family, they decided to make an offer.  As is typical, there was some negotiation and in the end all came together.

We got through the inspection.  We got through the financing.  We got to the closing table.  All is good!

A few weeks later, I saw David and Becky in the neighborhood.  I inquired about their son and the new house.  They were all delighted!  In fact, Becky thanked me for putting them in touch with a lender who understood their needs.  She said if she ever needed a Realtor again, she would be calling me.  That statement made my day!  Heck, it made my week!

I have a mentor who has told me, “You never know where you will run into your next client”.  She is right.    Who knew that a visit to the drug store would end with a new, happy client who happened to live just down the street from me!

I haven’t taken to hanging out at the drug store in hopes of locating another home buyer, but you really do never know.  Maybe you know someone looking to purchase a new home for their son or daughter or parent.   If I’m not at the drug store, you can always shoot me an e-mail or give me a call at (608) 333-4406.  I’d be happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment