Monday, September 19, 2011

The Objection

I recently hosted an Open House for a colleague of mine.  It's a very nice home in a new subdivision (you can check it out here).

I had a good showing, six or eight different parties through in the course of two hours.  That's a nice number, as I have a chance to visit with those that come through.  One woman really like the house, however there was one aspect of the home that she wasn't crazy about.  As she voiced her objection, I was all set to counter her objection with all the reasons the feature she disliked was actually positive, but I stopped short.

It's not about whether I like this feature or that amenity, it's about finding out what the buyer likes and wants. I"m not buying a house, she is.   I realized this may not be the house for her and that's OK.  Sometimes objections can be overcome, but sometimes they aren't meant to be overcome.  They just are!

So instead of objecting, I just said "Hmm, I've never thought of that."  Selling real estate is not actually selling at all.  The Realtor's role is to form a partnership to assist the buyer in finding the right home or property to meet their needs and then advising and guiding them through the process.  When a buyer finds the house they want, they will sell themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment