Monday, February 20, 2017

Tiny House Revolution

When I was very young, I lived in a “tiny house”.  In those days, they were called trailers.  The tiny houses of today are nothing like the trailers of yesterday.  Today’s tiny house can be as small as 140 square feet and are often outfitted with all the amenities of homes much larger. 

If you are like me, you have seen the television shows and the new articles about this newest trend in housing.  What surprises me is how popular they have become.

Not long ago, I listed a “tiny house”, but it wasn’t the typical tiny houses we see in the media.  This one was built in 1928 and is a whopping 652 square feet of character and charm (see my post from Dec. 22, 2016).  I’m not surprised that this house sold; it is cute as a button.  What intrigued me is the number of people who were interested in buying it!  I could have sold that house five times!  We had multiple offers and I had three phones calls after the accepted offer from buyer’s who wanted me to contact them if the transaction didn’t come together.  And this was all happening in late December, not typically a strong season for Real Estate sales.

Not that long ago, McMansions were the trend.  The bigger the better and the more bells and whistles the more popular they were.  It seems that trend may have reversed itself, at least for some people.

It will be interesting to watch the tiny house revolution to see where it goes. They are certainly a far cry from my trailer days!

No comments:

Post a Comment