Thursday, February 4, 2016

Is Loyalty Alive?

With all the Super Bowl hoopla, I was thinking the other day about loyalty.  Undoubtedly, people are loyal to their favorite sports teams.  The bead-wearing, face painters love their sports teams!  Of course people are also loyal to family and friends and their place of worship.  But are people really loyal?  Overall, my initial assessment is no, people are not loyal.

Then a few weeks ago I received an e-mail from a friend and client that changed my mind.  I helped them sell their house and purchase a new one.  The sale of their house went smoothly.  The purchase of the new house was a different story.  It was fraught with frustration.  There was lots of negotiating, five counter offers (yes, FIVE!) and several times we didn’t think it would work out.  It did and they are all settled.

Fast forward to the e-mail I mentioned earlier.  This is what it said:

“Hi 

We received your solicitation mail today.  We have no interest in using your services and ask that you not send us any more mail.

Kathy Epping was (and will be in the future if needed) our realtor from Restaino and not even your offer of $1000 closing credits is enough to entice us to switch.”

Wow!  My heart sang and I smiled from ear-to-ear.  Maybe people are loyal!  Maybe if you are honest, have integrity and do the right thing, people remember.  This client did.

So I’ve changed my mind.  Not only are people loyal to their Alma mater and their church, but people are also loyal to those they appreciate.


So as you settle into your easy chair to watch the Super Bowl fanfare on Sunday, think about your allegiances.  Do you appreciate the people that help you?  It doesn’t matter what that journey is.  Perhaps it’s better health, dealing with adversity or buying a house.  Whatever it is, appreciate those who lend a helping hand.  It will pay dividends down the road.  I promise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment