Monday, August 3, 2015

Conversations

Conversations at my house often revolve around houses.  What type of house I recently showed a buyer/client or the neighborhood I traveled through to meet potential sellers.   My husband listens intently and always seems interested, while I blather on about cape cods and bungalows and mid-century modern architecture.

The mid-century modern discussion came up recently.  My husband is sometimes a guest on a call-in radio program giving advice on landscaping ideas, perennial suggestions and general gardening tips.  On a recent program, a caller asked what type of landscaping would be appropriate for a mid-century modern house.  My husband’s response to the caller, via the host:

My husband: “Larry, do you know what a mid-century modern house is?”
Larry: “No, I’m afraid I don’t.”
My husband: “Well, my wife is a Realtor and she is always talking about mid-century modern houses and I don’t have a clue what she’s talking about.”

What??  And I thought he knew what I was talking about!  That radio discussion got me to thinking.  All my blathering was falling on deaf ears.  While I don’t know much about gardening and plants or what “zone” we live in, my husband is less versed in home styles and architectural features.  Which got me to thinking even further; perhaps the same is true of you!

Maybe you’d like more information on home styles, or neighborhood information or the current value of your house.  Or maybe you’d like to know the difference between a bungalow and a craftsman.  Whatever the question, I’d be happy to help.  Feel free to give me a call at 608.333.4406.  I’d welcome the conversation!


P.S.  In a nutshell, a mid-century modern home was typically built in the mid-20th century and is often defined by linear forms, low-sloping roof lines and generous use of interior glass and wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment