Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Staycation"

Road Trip!  That's what my college friends and I would yell as we planned and departed on a trip, long or short, outside of Madison. Today, the more savvy term is "Staycation".  Regardless of what you call it, the meaning is the same; "stay" at home and explore the not-so-far areas around where you live. 


Living in Madison, we have the unique and good fortune to be outside the city limits in 20 minutes or less.  Sure, there are incredible opportunities within the city limits (more on that in a later post), but there are also fabulous places to explore a short distance from the city limits.  So, if you are looking for a staycation for a week, a weekend or even just a day trip, here are some of my top picks.


Indian Lake County Park: When my children were small, my dear friend would take her kids and mine to Indian Lake.  What a respite for me, and the kids had a blast!  And the dog was welcome too, score! 


Devils Lake Sate Park: One of my favorite places in the state.  This was a road trip favorite in college and continues to be a favorite for our family.  Founded in 1911, Devil's Lake is the third oldest state park in Wisconsin, the largest, and the most visited.

Parfrey's Glen: My parents took my kids to Parfrey's Glen when they were small.  I'm not sure who had more fun, my parents or the kids!  It's one of Wisconsin's first State Natural Areas.


Cave of the Mounds: It's the same temperature year-round...incredible!  Still privately owned, visitors have flocked here for more than 70 years.  This is one of the best one day trips in the Midwest! 


Mineral Point, WI: Looking for some history, unique art and architecture, then check our Mineral Point, WI.  WisconsinTrails magazine just named Mineral Point the best historic town in the state.


Of course, there are lots of places to choose from, these are just a few.  Wherever your "Staycation" takes you, I hope you enjoy the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment